Wednesday, May 11, 2005

2 Nice Things Happened Today

First, today is Teacher Appreciation Day in California. I know the rest of you had it last week, we get ours this week. Our PTSA put on a lavish spread for us at lunch, provided at the most reasonable price by a manager/owner (didn't quite get the full relationship) of a nearby Max's Opera Cafe. The PTSA picked up the tab. Turns out he and his wife were there helping serve it up, and they have two children at our school--I have the daughter in a class. The generosity displayed by the parents who set this all up, and by the "caterer", and everyone else involved, was inspiring. So, 2 thumbs up to our PTSA for putting together such a fantastic lunch. I am overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness.

Second, I met at a local Noah's Bagels after work with Dan Weintraub, reporter and blogger for the major Sacramento newspaper (free registration is required). We talked for well over an hour, and, as I am wont to do, I did most of the talking. He didn't ask very many questions, so I kept on. He wasn't taking notes or anything, but was interested in hearing from someone "unofficially". My views confirmed some of his previously-held beliefs about charter schools, responsibility, standards, etc, and I mentioned some things he hadn't heard of before. He also shared some things with me that I didn't know. I enjoyed the exchange immensely.

It was a pretty good day.

5 comments:

Coach Brown said...

????????????
You get Max's for lunch and I get a cheesy plastic flashlight?????
That's it, I'm calling the CTA!!!

:)

EdWonk said...

We got nothing from our school or district adminstration.

Since we haven't had any sort of pay increase in three years, it doesn't come as a surprise.

Our SAB did gave each teacher an apple wrapped in a plastic bag tied with a ribbon saying, "Super Teacher."

Anonymous said...

Cool news on the interview with DW...

On another matter, I spoke to a group of UoP (Phoenix) single subject teaching students and one of them (I can't remember his name) teaches at Rio. I told him to say hi and sorry I couldn't take yo along to Star Wars...

Regarding the comment you left, I am intregued on the error from Jedi. Shoot me an e-mail (millers_900 at yahoo) and fill me in...

Fred said...

Nice to see another conservative teacher. I left the corporate world to enter teaching three years ago and quickly found out that I was in the minority!

Darren said...

Welcome to the profession, Fred! I went from being an army officer to a manufacturing manager in the Silicon Valley to teaching. We're definitely in the minority in this profession!