Wednesday, June 21, 2023

What A Fun Trip To Puerto Vallarta

I spent the entire day traveling yesterday, including dealing with severely delayed flights.  My personal rule is, except in very few situations, to have flight connections of at least 2 hours, and yesterday that rule allowed me to get home rather than be put up in a hotel in Salt Lake City for the night.  It was nice to be in my own home, even though I didn't get here until just after 2 am.

I did take a 2 hour surfing lesson in Punta Mita, and was shocked at how tiring surfing is.  About the time I was at a level where I could conceivably try to stand on the board, I was too exhausted to do so.  I was able, though, to get up on my knees and steer the board somewhat, at least I accomplished that much!

I rented a Waverunner and drove it around for awhile.  That was fun!

I also hiked up Mt. Everest.  Not that pansy little hill in Nepal, the real one in PV--the Mirador de la Cruz.  It wasn't more than mile or two from my hotel, but that's just the "walk through town" part.  Then you start walking up vertical streets that are like some in San Francisco or something.  Eventually the streets ended and then the stairs started.  Oh, the stairs!  I honestly wondered if my heart would explode in my chest, or perhaps my lungs wouldn't be able to keep up, but much like a Sherpa I kept on going until I got to the top!  The view was nice, and the trip back down was somewhat easier.

Did you know that Mexico has a navy?  I'd never really thought about it, but the Museo Naval on the malecon was enjoyable.  Incidentally, Mexicans' view of Mexican-American conflicts over the years is a little different from what I learned in school, although I'm sure the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The first couple days I got pink, but repeated applications of aloe and sunscreen have resulted in the body of a bronze statue.  Not a Greek god statue, more like a buddha-belly statue, but bronze nonetheless.  The beach in Puerto Vallarta was beautiful, and the water was the perfect temperature.  The waves could easily knock you down, though.  If I had another day or so, perhaps I'd have spent an entire day at the beach and eaten some of the shrimp skewers being sold.

A very good breakfast was included at my hotel, I usually didn't eat lunch, and I did something different for dinner each night.  My favorite activity was going to different food stands for dinner and trying new things (think street food, but with tables and plastic chairs).  On recent trips to Mexico I learned to like tortas and huaraches, this trip introduced me to volcanes--tortilla, cheese, shredded meat, cilantro, onions, topped with shredded pineapple!  So good.

I did go out to a club on Friday night and had a great time, I'm sure the few rum-and-cokes didn't hurt at all!  I have a vague memory of the mic being handed to me as I sang along with the blaring song in the midst of the crowd....

I talked to a real estate agent there--he's from the Lake Tahoe area!  He's added me to his mailing list for properties that meet certain criteria, I'm looking forward to getting more emails.

6 days in PV made for a nice trip.  I haven't yet been to Mazatlan, perhaps that'll be my next south-of-the-border adventure.

No comments: