Wednesday, May 03, 2023

King Charles' Coronation

My grandmother was an English subject when she met my grandfather during WWII.  Before that war ended they had gotten married and my dad had been born.

I don't remember when nana became a naturalized US citizen, but whenever she talked about returning to England to visit family she always used the phrase "going home".  She lived in the same house in suburban Sacramento for many more years than she ever lived in England, but part of her heart remained English.  She loved the Sacramento Solons and the San Francisco Giants, but part of her remained English.

Grandpa was in the Air Force, and enlisted men didn't make a lot of money in those days (not that they're getting rich today).  Even still, grandpa got nana a television so she could watch Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953; they were the first people on their block to have a tv.

Partly as an homage to my grandmother, and partly because I like a certain amount of pomp and circumstance, I plan to get up at 2 a.m. this Saturday to watch coverage of King Charles' coronation.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I had friends over for a sleepover in my parents motor home for Royal wedding (Diana and Charles). Anytime the 4 of us get together throughout the years, that night is always brought up. It was one of the many memories "roots" which held us together through miscarriages, divorce, sickness and other life events.
You should invite others to join you.

Darren said...

Great point!

Ellen K said...

Mom was the same age as Queen Elizabeth and followed her through the news from Britain during WWII. At one time she even had a Princess Elizabeth doll that one of my cousins destroyed while she was in college. Mom greatly admired how Queen Elizabeth held firm to her loyalty to family and her long term staff. Mom passed a year before Queen Elizabeth, and I like to think that somewhere in Heaven they are sitting down in their pearls and gloves, drinking tea together and chatting about the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries they loved. I watch Charles and Diana's wedding when I was young. I don't think I'll voluntarily wake up for this one, but I hope it goes off without any sort of public nonsense or threats.