Tuesday, August 24, 2021

A Kilt

One of our younger teachers is a graduate of our school, and during his time as a student there was a student club called the Highlander Club.  It wasn't much, but the members wore kilts to school each Friday.  This teacher wants to revive the club.

To do so, he's drafted several teachers and convinced them to buy kilts and to start wearing them on Fridays.  I can't decide on a kilt, though.

If I wanted to have the most amazing kilt ever, I'd jump through the hoops that are required in order to get the official West Point tartan, and I'd have a kilt made from that.  It would take approximately forever and be very expensive.  And I don't want a traditional kilt, to be honest; I want a modern "utility kilt"--perhaps even a hybrid kilt with the West Point tartan sewn into the pleats, but again, getting that tartan would take forever.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to three: a solid black utility kilt, a hybrid kilt with the US Army tartan sewn into the pleats, and a woodland camouflage utility kilt.  I'm waiting for answers to emails from a couple of the companies before I make my final decision.

Update, 8/29/21:  My clan tartan is a bit "loud", and the West Point tartan and kilts with the "Old Grad Plaid" tartan are hard to come by.  I kind of like the Pride of Scotland tartan, but didn't find one in a kilt I liked.  For those who know me it'll no doubt be difficult to believe (snicker snicker) that I ordered two utility kilts, one in solid black and the other in woodland camouflage.  The solid black one arrives tomorrow!

2 comments:

Wooster's Company said...

I am 30 years a bagpiper, I like these guys https://www.verillas.com/kilts/ I have 2 of theirs, I have lots of tartan ones and a dozen Utilikilts. I play the pipes to support my kilt habit! So good on y'all


you could find a wonderful world of help on this at https://www.xmarksthescot.com/

Darren said...

I ended up buy *2* kilts :-)