Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Can't "Do" Math

Nearly a third of adults say they struggle with everyday maths and try to avoid situations involving numbers, a survey suggests. 

Meanwhile, 39% also say trying to figure out maths problems makes them feel anxious. 

The poll, commissioned by charity National Numeracy, found 31% of the 2,000 adults surveyed struggled with basic problems and 29% would avoid doing maths.  link

I know what let's do!  Let's just not teach math and teach race-hatred instead! That appears to be the California approach, anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The really sad thing is that they're not even talking about real math(s); they're talking about basic primary school arithmetic.

ObieJuan said...

If someone can't read, they hide it out of shame.
If someone can't do math, they brag about it (kinda like "I'm a vegan").
In Korea, such a person would be called "babo" or "meongcheong", in America, we just call them "blonde".

Ellen K said...

I'll be the first to admit that the discipline of upper level math is beyond me. I can do basic functions, but I was a New Math Victim and the experimentation done on behalf of educrats of the time created a situation where for a long time I really had math anxiety. My seventh grade teacher was an old man when I had him. His tests consisted of two problems where unless you did it perfectly following his line of logic, the answe was wrong. After that I struggled through pre-Algebra, Algebra and Geometry (at which I excelled for some reason). My stumbling block was the second semester of Trig. It got to the point I didn't even know how to ask questions. Personally, I think they added too many bells and buzzers to math to make it more "enriching" and "entertaining." I would've prefer rote memorization and repetition until I was capable of doing the work. Who knows? Maybe I could've become an architect as I wanted back in 1974.