Thursday, April 16, 2020

The Teacher Becomes The Student

I was talking to a former student a couple days ago.  He was walking me through the process for adding a video to a playlist on YouTube.  "Under the video, left of SHARE, there are 3 horizontal lines with a plus sign.  Click that."  I did.  "Hey, it's grayed out, I can't click it."  So I had to continue with my old, convoluted way.

I don't know how I figured it out, but the problem was that I was identifying my videos as "made for children".  When I stopped doing that I was given a "no age restrictions" option, which I chose upon uploading, and that video didn't have the "3 lines and a plus sign" grayed out.  Now it was easy-peasy to add that to a playlist.

I don't know why it works that way, only that it does work that way.  I learned something.

I'm already over making videos at home and holding Zoom classes.  It was novel for the first day or two, now it seems like more work than actually going to school and teaching--for less educational effect to boot.

I saw an email from a teacher today that began with "Sarcasm Warning", so of course I had to read it.  The gist was that he is a better teacher online than he ever was in class--students who had 29% in class all of a sudden scored 90-105% on his online test!  He ended with (and I'll paraphrase here), "If you get these kids next year and they don't perform, it's all on you.  I worked miracles with them."

Just over 7 weeks left....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our district has told us to not expect students to be able to meet synchronously. We must post 1 week worth of material on Friday for the following week. Then we hold a minimum of 2 2-hour "office hours" sessions on days and times chosen by our site administration. I happened to luck into Tuesday from 10a-12noon and Friday from 8a-10a. We also have a "Department Check In" meeting once a week for approx. 1 hour. We are not supposed to be on campus for anything, even if recording lessons would be more effective or easier. (can you say home office with children is easy?)
I have had quite a few students do ZERO in the first 2 weeks of "distance learning" but a few that have continued the good fight. I can't imagine trying to hold virtual class through Zoom or Google Meet. Hope you get things figured out in an effective way.

Darren said...

Today our district through us all under the bus and reneged on their credit/no credit grading system. Kids who want to can ask their teachers for letter grades.

I can't control cheating via distance learning like I can in class. At this point grades are a much more blunt instrument than they are when actual school is in session. I can differentiate between passing and not passing, I can't really differentiate between a 93% A and an 89% B+.

The district and the teachers union jointly did this. No teacher I have talked to was consulted by their union before making this change. I'm told that 7 parents spoke at the recent school board meeting, and that's what prompted the change. We have 40,000 students in our district, and 7 parents prompted a change.

Ellen K said...

I just heard that AP testing is going to be via the internet. We had enough bright kids trying to cheat on the written versions, I can't even start to imagine how the AP Board thinks it's going to have any sort of test security when kids will most likely set up dual browsers and meet with others online to get answers. Even the essays are going to be suspect.