Friday, April 10, 2020

The Best-laid Plans

I had done so much planning.  I determined what material I would teach, and when I would teach it.  I notified parents and students of the information needed to log on to Zoom for my instruction.  I was all set to go.

Then I got an email from the district.  After 4 weeks of being off work, now they tell me.

First, they recognize the security flaws in Zoom but, with certain settings, we should feel free to use that platform.  Then there was the list of do's and don'ts.  Mostly don'ts.
  • Don't post any video (with students' faces in it) to the open web.  There goes my YouTube page--and it's a bit late for me to figure out Google Classroom now.
  • Don't have students' names visible on any video you post (Zoom shows participants' names).
  • Don't publicly post Zoom meeting login information.  There goes posting it on my web site.  Why does it matter, if I only let in participants from the "waiting room" whose names I recognize?
Bottom line:  I can't hold a regular class.

So my plan now is to make videos in advance, without any students to ask clarifying questions.  I'll post those just-me videos on my YouTube page.  I'll scrub my district web site of the meeting information and just mail it to students.  And what will I do during my scheduled meetings?  Answer questions, I guess--if anyone watches the videos in advance.

I'll keep adjusting....

3 comments:

Mr. W said...

that seems to be the plan at our school too. We are trying to avoid the live lectures because we don't know if kids are able to access computers at a given time because of their home situation. So the push was made for uploading lectures with check ins through out the week. Just like office hours.

As the school's tech coach, I recommended videos to avoid zoom bombings or kids just trying to be disruptive. Plus if connections are bad you might have students not being able to understand everything live.

just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

Zoom is nothing but BS to keep teachers on payroll.

Ellen K said...

I'll be honest, I did Google Classroom for five years. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The only drawback is having to use Google suite to produce work. I used to post very long slide presentations as well as quizzes and links to outside resources. I'm sure they've added more bells and buzzers in the past year.