Monday, June 10, 2019

My 2nd Pro Football Game

Back in the 90s, a friend took me to a pre-season Raiders game at Stanford Stadium.  It was the Raiders' first season back in Oakland, and I enjoyed myself immensely at that game.

Now, about 25 years later, I'm going to my second pro football game.

I'm going to be in Canada in about a month, and I just bought tickets to see the hometown BC Lions!  Two tickets (plus blood for Ticketmaster) set me back a whopping CDN$56, around US$45.  For two tickets to see a professional football game!

Last Friday night's pre-season game against the (hated) Calgary Stampeders was posted in HD on YouTube, so I watched it yesterday.  I refamiliarized myself with some of the CFL rules, having first learned them when Sacramento had a CFL team during the league's ill-fated expansion into the US market in the 90s, and I learned the coach's name and that of the 3 quarterbacks and top receiver.

I'm ready to go be BC's biggest fan.  Let's go Li-ons!

Update, 6/12/19:  I was not thinking when I wrote that post.   Sacramento had a team in the World League of American Football--they even won the World Bowl!--and when the WLAF folded, that team (including the coach!) morphed into Sacramento's CFL team when that league temporarily expanded into the US market.  I attended both WLAF and CFL games, so this will most certainly not be only my 2nd professional football game.  But it will be the first one since the Clinton administration!

No comments: