Monday, April 30, 2018

The Giving Of Gifts Upon Retirement

At the end of this school year we have 4 retirements occurring at my school.  It's not uncommon for a collection to be taken in order to get retirees some nice gifts.  Assuming I survive this business I've got 10 years to go until retirement, so until then I'm going to enjoy receiving retirement gifts.

The retirees are starting to go through their desks and closets and bestowing upon those of us remaining the bounty of what they find.  Several years ago a fellow math teacher, upon his retirement, bequeathed to me his 8+ feet long, demonstration-model slide rule.  Today one of our science (chemistry and AP Environmental Science) teachers brought me these:
Slide rules are one of the most creative and practical of non-electronic scientific instruments.  A few years ago a former math and physics teacher gave me her K&E, which had been a high school graduation gift from her father for her use at Purdue.  Now I have a Lafayette (made in Japan!) and another book about how to use such ingenious devices.

No comments: