Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Six Months Ago, Six Months From Now

It's hard to believe that it's only been 6 months since I was in Iceland, in a failed attempt to see the Northern Lights.

The friend I went with--we've known each other since 1st grade--we've been planning a return in 6 months to give the lights another try.  But even after clearing out the cookies on my computer, each time I look at the cost of a flight and hotel and a couple of goodies, the cost keeps going up.  In May, the total cost was just under $2800, but by this past weekend the cost had gone up to over $3000.

That's a lot of shekels, even for a rich math-teacher-with-master's-degree like me.

So I got to thinking, what if I'm heading in the wrong direction, literally?  My friend ixnayed Cancun immediately--too touristy.  I like it there, but not enough to lobby for it.  We thought Aruba--it sounds so exotic--but discovered that on many message boards, Aruba is identified as being pretty much Americanized, so eh.

So I checked on my old fallback, cruises.  And what did I find?

Day
Ports of Call Arrival Departure
1 San Juan, Puerto Rico --- 8:30 p.m.
2 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
3 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
4 At Sea --- ---
5 Willemstad, Curacao 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.
6 Oranjestad, Aruba 8:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.
7 At Sea --- ---
8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 a.m. --- 

So there's still an opportunity to see Aruba, as well as some other very interesting islands.  I've been to the first 3 ports of call, but there's always more to see!  And there's so much to do on a cruise ship.

So we'll either bundle ourselves up and approach the Arctic Circle, or we'll don shorts and t-shirts and approach the equator.  Either way, a fun trip awaits!

No comments: