Sunday, August 09, 2009

Closing Schools Because of Swine Flu

The NYT has a slightly interesting article on the subject, but this is my favorite part:

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said that some schools “will have to close,” and that administrators should be making plans to continue schooling at home, via telephones and the Internet.

When I go back to school next week, I'll be sure to ask my new principal what our plan is for conducting schooling "via telephones and the Internet".

The main point of the article, though, was that most schools will not need to close. My 2nd favorite part of the article was how to deal with open schools in a swine flu environment:

The guidelines also say that if the flu becomes more severe, additional measures may be needed, like...increasing the distance between people at school by moving the desks farther apart.

Yes, all that extra room I have in my classroom after squeezing in 38 desks, that vast expanse I use for herds of buffalo or whatever, I'll expand my huddled desks into that open space--because there's so much of it in my classroom.

As Instapundit would say, "We're in the best of hands."

2 comments:

Ellen K said...

There's evidently some raging debate over the vaccine that will be available for flu this year. Having had a "swine break" last spring, I really don't want to do that again. Plus, I really don't want to see a flu outbreak spread to seniors and infants in our community. I have heard several people say they won't get the flu shot. And while I don't want to risk a side effect, I am not sure what to do. Have you heard anything?

Darren said...

Nothing beyond what's in the news.