Sunday, October 05, 2008

Service Academy Football

Army won its first game in about 10 years (yes, I'm exaggerating, but not by much) this weekend, handily defeating Tulane on the road 44-13. Navy went to Colorado Springs and beat up on Air Force a little bit, winning 33-27 at Falcon Stadium.

Maybe Navy's secret weapon, the USS Bancroft, had something to do with the win:



Background information: each year several juniors from our service academies serve as "exchange cadets" and midshipmen by attending one of their sister academies for the first semester. I was fortunate enough to attend the Air Force Academy from August to December, 1985, on such a program.

The submarine above, the USS Bancroft, was built by the exchange squids--I mean, exchange midshipmen--at the Air Force Academy. As I said, they're juniors--Class of 2010. It's on the "terrazzo", in the center of the Cadet Area, with the Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel in the immediate background. Tourists often stand along the wall in front of the chapel and watch the Cadet Wing form up and march to lunch--at least, they did back in my day.

I congratulate the mids above on a well-executed spirit mission. It's certainly better than anything we came up with!

(The picture above was sent to me by a former student who is currently a plebe at Annapolis. The picture is making the rounds of the internet, but if you know who took it, please let me know so that I can provide the appropriate credit.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The submarine above, the USS Bancroft, was built by the exchange squids--I mean, exchange midshipmen--at the Air Force Academy."

Sometime before they graduate, someone *will* tell them that submarines work more effectively in water ... Right?????

-Mark Roulo