Saturday, October 11, 2008

No More Bake Sales

I don't know how students can tolerate some of the ridiculous rules my generation foists on them sometimes.
But at Davis Senior High School, the old-fashioned bake sale is a thing of the past.

School officials have forbidden students from selling homemade cookies and cupcakes to raise money for their campus clubs or favorite charities.

Food prepared in home kitchens violates federal health laws, according to school rules handed down last month.

"If you wish to violate this order, your club will be disbanded," reads one provision.

Also banned are club meetings without a teacher present. "NO exceptions," say the rules.

And students can no longer accept cash at charity fundraisers – only checks – to avoid accounting irregularities...

The requirement that students write checks for a slice of pizza or a carwash was absurd, she (a student) said.
The people who crafted these rules are the same people who tell us we're supposed to teach critical thinking skills to students.

5 comments:

Mr.D AKA the History Dude said...

Welcome to Amerika!

Jane said...

So sad. As a HS student, I didn't have a checkbook. And what do they think the clubs will do without any funds? Sit around and talk about the things they used to do?

David Foster said...

"If you wish to violate this order, your club will be disbanded"...interesting phrasing. Wonder if they're just illiterate, or if they mean that even *thinking* about bringing food from home will get you disbanded...

Ellen K said...

We can't do it either. And the sales from our art supplies already fund the PTA, so we don't even get income from that. All the drill teams, cheerleaders and student councils have wrapped up all the fundraising options are taken up by them, leaving smaller clubs or clubs that cater to students outside the rahrah zone, with nothing. We can't have bakesales because we have contracted food services and that "violates" the contract. That's why we also don't have any pizza parties, ice cream socials or such for rewards.

Anonymous said...

Darren

The Army beat them to it.

One of the things I looked forward to at monthly drill was the Family Support Group would sell some great homemade biscuits with ham, sausage, etc. Well one day about four years ago there were packages of frozen Jimmy Dean biscuits. Good stuff but not nearly as good as the homemade stuff. Someone above my pay grade decided Family Support Groups could not sell thinks that were not prepackaged. No more homemade cookies, biscuits, hotdogs on site, etc.

Now a few months ago I was buying a granola bar and I asked how much. The woman said “we can’t set a price…we can only ask for donations now…”

Gotta love it.

PS: I don’t know if I told you this...I was at work a couple of weeks ago when I got a call on my cell phone. The family support office from US Army Reserve Command, Atlanta GA was calling to see if my family and I were ok. I was surprised since my reserve unit was aware of my situation but the Army Reserve Command was verifying status of reservists in the hurricane areas…and I’m paying for this crap!