Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ahoy, Mateys! Thar Be TREASURE At That University!

Newsalert has a piece that's relatively short but so full of delicious poetic justice that I post it here in its entirety:

George Will reports:
WASHINGTON is having a Willie Sutton Moment. Such moments occur when government, finding its revenue insufficient for its agenda, glimpses some money it does not control but would like to.

Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) and Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) recently convened a discussion of how colleges and universities should be spending their endowments.


Marxism or should we say Rawlsian Justice finally come home to where it started: the universities.Our universities love to promote taxation for everyone but themselves.We can't wait to hear the libertarian arguments on why they shouldn't be taxed.


That will be fun to watch.

No, I'm not for taking money from universities. However, "taxes for thee but not for me" has gone on for long enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the donors to the universities would think, if they suspected some of the money that they had given over the years was being confiscated and used to fund government programs.

I suspect for a lot of donors, that would end any chance of future donation. (I know it would for me...then again, I don't give to my "big" alma mater because they have something like the fifth largest endowment in the nation...and I don't support what their administration is currently doing...and I was kind of "lost in the shuffle" as an undergrad there).