Saturday, January 06, 2007

I've Become More Conservative Over Time

THIS is the test I took years ago and on which I scored 25. 0 is a Jesse Jackson Liberal, 20 is Colin Powell, and 40 is a Ronald Reagan conservative.

25 is George Bush the Dad, and I was happy to be in that company. However, I just scored 32 on this test (between Jack Kemp's 30 and Bob Dole's 35), still in great company. I suspect that my increased conservative score comes from a stronger support for the 2nd Amendment than I had in the past.

However, I'm not convinced that a linear representation is the best for identifying political affiliation. The libertarians have a 2x2 array for political affiliation, one in which I was identified as a centrist but leaning right. In the comments on that post are links to other internet quizzes, and on one of of those I scored

The Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82

These appear to be 10-point scales each way; I'm 4.38 units right, and .82 units towards libertarian.

I'm in the same quadrant as Milton Friedman, so I have good company. Again, this is about where I expect to be--distance-wise, not too far from the center.


So we'll take these quizzes with a grain of salt. But when we have many grains put together, and they're all white, perhaps we have the contents of a shaker.

14 comments:

rightwingprof said...

Commie. I got a 37.

Anonymous said...

I scored a 12.

Can I still visit and comment on your blog? (chuckle)

Darren said...

I'm not too hip on this one-dimensional score. Try a couple of two-dimensional quizzes; URLs are in the comments in the link.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 39! I'll try the two-dimensionals and get back to you.

allen said...

Drat! I only scored a 35, putting me in Bob Dole's lap, so to speak. I wonder what answers I'd have to change to get up to 40?

Looks like me and Milton Friedman would get along if we sat next to each other in first class. That's something although I wish Milt had a clearer idea about the role and importance of the public education system. I guess he was a product of the times in which he was raised.

Eric Warburg said...

I scored 13 -- Right between the two Clintons. Hmm.

Darren said...

I can't imagine anywhere I'd rather be less. Ewwwwwwww!

Anonymous said...

just to prove to you that i still read your blog, i'm a 19

evan

Anonymous said...

I scored a 29 between Geo. Bush I and Jack Kemp which I would say is pretty accurate. I am glad to see that living in California hasn't softened your resolve. I was actually pretty surprised I scored that conservative, but then again, I am pretty much a traditionalist on family and social views.

rory @ parentalcation said...

The quiz didn't cover education, diversity, and affirmative action enough.

I scored a 20, but I think if the above issues were covered, I would score much higher.

rightwingprof said...

"I'm a 39!"

I tip my hat to you, sir.

La Maestra said...

Whew. 14 (between the two Clintons) on the first one, and Economic Left/Right: -3.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08 on the second one.

I've been agreeing with you an inordinate amount lately--just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow becoming a conservative. :-)

Darren said...

La Maestra, the fact that you've been agreeing with me lately tells me two things:

1. I'm right to be suspicious of this one-dimensional quiz, and
2. You're a very smart person =)

Lillian said...

I'm a 32, between Kemp and Dole...