Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Just Give Up Already

How many times already has the requirement to show a "RealID" for domestic air travel been postponed?  Why do they keep postponing it, it's literally been known for years.  Of course they blame the 'rona for the backlog, but the 'rona hasn't been causing backlogs for two years, and this latest delay is two more years:

Air travelers will now have two more years to upgrade their licenses and other forms of identification to be Real ID-compliant .

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced Monday the new deadline will be May 7, 2025, allowing Americans more time following delays caused by the COVID pandemic. The old cutoff was slated for May 3, 2023.

Americans wishing to trade their license or ID in for a compliant Real ID, which has a star symbol at the top of the card, must undergo a more stringent ID check during application. According to DHS, security features on Real IDs are designed to prevent counterfeiting and fraud, using documentary evidence and record checks to confirm travelers are who they claim to be. The Real ID will be required by travelers 18 or older to board a plane, enter a federal building or a military base. Passports, military IDs or Global Entry cards also will qualify to pass through airport security. 

Stringent, you say?  I know of a former student who has openly bragged for over a year about having a RealID showing he/she is old enough to drink.  He/she is not.  Good job, California! 

Anyway, this RealID requirement sounds like an ineffective parent:  "Stop now or you're going to be in trouble...One more time and you're in a timeout...Don't make me say it again...One, two, three, if I get to four...."  Just give up already.  You're incompetent.  I'm talking to you, California DMV and US Dept of Homeland Security.

4 comments:

Matureteach said...

I renewed my driver's license shortly after Maryland required them to be "Real ID" compliant. A year later, I received notice that Maryland MVA had somehow not followed the regulations correctly, and I had to renew my driver's license again. I do believe that Maryland is competing with California for the incompetence trophy.

Anna A said...

In Ohio, it was pretty good. I've had my "Real ID" long enough to require a renewal. And the renewal was quite easy, since I already had one.

But, the interesting thing is that they noticed and required both of my middle names on it. I'm adopted, and always knew my birth last name, but did not know that it showed up on my birth certificate as well (US passport didn't catch it or wasn't concerned)

Steve USMA '85 said...

I can verify what Matureteach says. Same thing happened to my wife and I here in Maryland. One thing I will say is that DMV made it easy to make an appointment to redo the license. Surprising, for both of us, we were seen within 5 minutes of our appointment time. At least they did the redo efficiently.

Darren said...

I will need a passport for the foreseeable future so I see no need to get a RealID. I just use my passport on domestic flights.