Friday, November 18, 2022

Thanksgiving Vacation!

When I was a kid, we went to school Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week and got the rest of the time off.  Too many parents took their kids out of school those days for family trips, meaning the kids missed instruction and the schools missed "average daily attendance" money, so nowadays our district just takes the whole week off school.  That's part of why we start school in early August, to make up for all the extra days off we now get throughout the school year that we didn't used to get (and yes, there are more school days than when I was a kid, too).

School is now out--I'm off for 9 days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm only a year older than you, but when I was a kid, we went to school Monday, Tuesday, AND WEDNESDAY of Thanksgiving week. By the time I reached high school, I think they had relented and started giving us early dismissal on Wednesday, so it wasn't a whole day.