Thursday, May 12, 2022

Wearing Yellow Stars of David

Today at our staff meeting some students discussed a new project that is being shepherded by our school's so-called Equity Team.  Teachers can choose to be "allies", to "demonstrate ally-ship", and will make themselves available to talk to students when students need someone to talk to but can't talk to their parents. 

But wait, it gets better.  Teachers who decide to do this will be sent to re-education training to learn how to talk to students without judgement and how to "be vulnerable" with students.  

And the best part is...those teachers who do this will get a sticker to put on their classroom doors to notify anyone and everyone that they are an ally.

I am not going to participate in this, in part because it comes from our "equity" team.  "Equity" is a word that has been co-opted by those of a certain political slant--and it's not my political slant!--and I don't support their interpretation of the word.  I want nothing to do with anything associated with so-called equity.  For those who don't understand why I would feel that way, imagine supporting something from the Liberty Team, the Patriotism Team or (gasp!) the MAGA Team.  I don't care if the "Equity" Team is cleaning up the campus or raising money to send arms to Ukraine, I wouldn't help.  Words matter, and if you're going to use politically-charged words in your organization's name to identify yourselves, and if I'm not "of" that political slant, then you've lost me.

To use the language of the Left, they're not being inclusive.  This use of stickers creates an us vs. them environment with leads to othering those without the sticker.

When they first mentioned the stickers, my first thought was, "Why don't they just have those of us without the stickers wear yellow Stars of David?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the adults (teachers, administrative staff, school board) seriously considering implementing this adolescence self indulgent "me, me, me" "project" with tax payers dollars?

My jaw is left hanging

Anna A said...

You could have very "innocently" suggested that the stickers be 6 sided yellow stars. With the lack of historical knowledge, the students might not make the connection.

Jeremy said...

I'm sorry that you have to work with a bunch of clowns who want to (checks notes)...respect other people's humanity. It must be hard to be you. I wish you all the strength in the world as you work tirelessly to establish your victimhood in this matter.

Darren said...

I talked to plenty of teachers at break and lunch today, and even ones you might expect would be in favor of this certainly don't like the "sticker" business. Many of us believe it is unnecessarily divisive.

And the idea is stupid. What, some kid is going to see a sticker on a door and just walk in and poor their heart out to some random teacher they don't even know? It's silly to think that would ever happen.

Anonymous said...

I'm a (social?) democrat and that is stupid!

Randomizer said...

"Why don't they just have those of us without the stickers wear yellow Stars of David?"

Don't be divisive, lean into the stickers. How about an NRA door sticker for teachers providing a safe space for students who identify as hunters or as enthusiasts for shooting sports. MAGA stickers, perhaps just an American flag sticker, for students ostracized for supporting President Trump. Ultra MAGA stickers, a bigger flag, for students who get picked on by Jonah Goldberg and other Never-Trumpers.

Instead of calling those teachers allies, which could be off-putting to students of German, Japanese or Italian heritage, they get a sign that says, "I enjoy having private, sex-themed discussions with minors that are too graphic for their parents to handle."

Darren said...

Well done, Randomizer, well done.

Math Teacher said...

My school has a door-decorating contest every year during Black History Month. It has always been a rather benign activity, with some teachers doing and many others declining to participate. It is, essentially, virtue signaling. I never participate, preferring to stick to simply (gasp) teaching math.

This year, our principal got a bit overly enthusiastic about it at a staff meeting and stated that those of us who do not do it will be "the odd ones out". I resented that characterization, as it created a right versus wrong dichotomy. In the end, no one really gave a hoot who did and who didn't do it, but I wonder what awaits us next February.