Sunday, November 14, 2021

Woke Math

The author of this piece solicited my input but I didn't see or respond to her email until the I got home from work, which was too late.  Still, I think she did pretty good!

According to California's draft "Mathematics Framework," math is not just a "neutral discipline"; it also can be used to promote equity and "social justice."

Call it "Woke Math."

The authors mean well. They want to close the achievement gap between white and Black and Latino students. But they're doing it the wrong way. They're trying to close the gap by pretending that math -- a discrete discipline forged on the purity of numbers -- can be taught like English or political science.

If California approves the framework, expect it to be a guide for textbooks used across the land. This is what it looks like.

It was shelved until next year--but they'll try it again next year.

2 comments:

Ellen K said...

I saw your name mentioned and linked it on Not The Bee. Still thinking of retiring? I ran into another long time teacher who told me my former school had gotten worse than it was before COVID. I can't even imagine.

Darren said...

I genuinely can't afford to retire yet, not without having a bird in the hand, so to speak. So I stay and fight the good fight.