Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Rally

A friend of mine from school is going to participate this summer in a 10-day cross-country scooter rally.  That's right, hundreds of people are going to meet on the east coast and, over the next 10 days, ride their scooters (Vespa-type, not Razor-type) a prescribed route that ends in Eureka, California.  I still have my Honda Elite 250, but I just don't see that much riding on a scooter!

I'm a lifetime member of Passport America, a discount camping organization, and an email yesterday from them drew my attention to one of their upcoming rallies.  A convoy of campers, trailers, and motor homes, starting in Idaho and winding through Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska, over the course of 51 days, sounds like great fun to me!

It would take pretty much my entire 2022 summer vacation (June 13 – August 2, 2022), and I don't know that I want my entire summer to be spent on just 1 lengthy trip in the rig, but I can't bring myself to just forget about it.  It sounds like so much fun!

I wish I could go on some of the shorter rallies, but they take place during school--Alaska is the only one I could participate in.  There are companies that organize caravans to Baja, which also sounds great to me, but those are egregiously priced.  I kinda-sorta organized the Joshua Tree trip over Spring Break with a couple people from school and their families in 2019 but haven't duplicated that feat since then.

It's odd that I'm even thinking about a 2022 summer trip when I don't yet have anything planned for Ski Week, Spring Break, or Summer '21--but that's what I get for reading that darned email!

Took the trailer to Clear Lake (about 3 hrs from here) for a couple days this past long weekend, that was nice.  I'm thinking maybe Death Valley for Ski Week.

No comments: