Friday, January 01, 2021

10,000 Steps

I don't know if a smart watch will add any value to my life, but I bought myself an inexpensive one a few days ago.  I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

I've heard that the latest health craze (after 'rona vaccinations) is to get in 10,000 steps a day.  Among a few other things, this watch tracks my steps, so I went on a walk yesterday morning and listened to an audiobook in the process.  Barely over 5000 steps.  So after the Liberty Bowl I went out again, and by the time I got home I had 10,900 steps.  

It took me about 4 miles, 1 hour, to get that many in.  I don't know how practical it is to expect myself to do that every day, but it's not a bad goal.

So far today:  1,086 steps.  I've been doing laundry and putting away Christmas decorations.

1 comment:

David said...

I have used a fitbit for years and have gotten in at least 10k steps everyday for almost 2 years. It is a good goal to have and even on those lazy days, it always feels like I accomplished at least one thing that day. If I go for a run or an hour-long walk, it is very easy to get in the steps by the end of the day. On a typical school day, I would get 6-8k steps just from walking around school and my classroom.

Just be careful on things like grading papers. When I first got it and graded students' tests, I got 500 steps in 60 minutes just from flipping the papers.