Tuesday, August 11, 2020

I Must Be A Horrible Human

Today I had to sit through 3 hours of "hate the white man" indoctrination from my school district.  It wasn't even subtle.  The standards the district adopted over the summer are much further left-leaning, on the whole, than I would have expected from my suburban school district.  The meeting/training/struggle session was via Zoom, so while I did pay attention to what was said, I shut my own camera off so I could simultaneously enjoy a significant amount of time in my massage chair without everyone seeing the pleasure on my face.

Maybe I'm really not a *-ist (insert whichever attack you prefer).  Maybe I'm just misinterpreting this training.  Well, you might think that, until you remember that I took a nice camping trip to Yellowstone this summer:

The Los Angeles Times reported that recreational camping has a “complicated” past when it comes to racism and the cost of camping gear is a “barrier” preventing minorities from enjoying the hobby.

“Camping is often called America’s favorite outdoor activity,” the Los Angeles Times posted on its Twitter account, along with an article titled, “Want more diversity in camping? Start with the gear."

"But camping and national parks have a complicated past when it comes to racial equality and equal access for all. One modern barrier to entry: the cost of camping gear," the tweet continued. 

I should just embrace my inner *-ist.  They're going to try to force me to anyway.

2 comments:

David said...

Shouldn't you have been spending those 3 hours learning about distance learning? New tools in the classroom? Maybe making lesson plans for the first week?

I go back next week and am not looking forward to those things.

Mike Thiac said...

I’m recalling a meme:

The stupid! It burns!