Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Calculus Class

My calculus class started yesterday.  The instructor held a 2-hour Zoom class and recorded it, I watched it after work.

Let's just say I wasn't impressed.  I'm sure part of it was the instructor's lack of familiarity with the technological tools he was trying to use (probably from home, as there was a fake background behind him), but some of it was just poor teaching.

As I reminded someone today, there's a difference between a "professor" and a "teacher".

I'm hoping it gets better from here.

5 comments:

Steve USMA '85 said...

What did I miss here? You took calculus at West Point. Why are you taking it again?

Darren said...

Shhh, don't tell anyone!

Here's the story:
https://rightontheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2020/06/im-gonna-be-student-again.html

Ellen K said...

Some classes can be taught online, some cannot. Right now the district I left is doing all online classes. That may work for social studies, language arts and world languages, but I don't know how you teach art or shop or choir or band online. These are skill based courses that require hands on learning. I really like what a local district, Richardson ISD, is doing by bringing back elementary students next week and then phasing in secondary students as time progresses. I believe especially younger children need a warm, caring human over a computer which they associate with movies and games.

Darren said...

I read over at Joanne Jacobs' site today that too many kids are having real mental difficulty over being stuck at home and trying to learn through a screen.

I admit that part of the reason I go to school each day is to get out of the house, but primarily it's to separate my work life from my home life. Kids right now aren't able to do that.

PeggyU said...

Our recently graduated son often remarked that professors should be required to obtain some sort of training to teach. I suppose by the time you reach college age the idea is that you can more or less teach yourself, but that isn't helpful when you actually need someone to provide a clear explanation. Thank God for the internet.