Sunday, January 27, 2019

Should I Move To West Virginia?

The governor there wants to pay math teachers more than other teachers--a proposal which I certainly wouldn't object to:
West Virginia doesn’t have enough math teachers. Gov. Jim Justice proposes paying more for math teachers and perhaps others in hard-to-fill specialties. This is a radical idea.
Who would you guess is against this idea?
The state’s teachers’ unions are fighting proposals to increase pay for math teachers, reports the Intelligencer and Wheeling News-Register.
Shocking, I know.

And no, I'm not going to move to West Virginia.  Not any time soon, anyway.

4 comments:

Mr. W said...

:-)

I saw this story too and thought about it for a split second. My wife has her doctorate and admin credential, I'm sure she can find something. But once again...unions.

I tried to convince our union head to not give PE teachers a conference period unless they were a head coach of a sport. That got shot down pretty quickly, but why do PE teachers need a prep period? What are they preparing for?

Steve USMA '85 said...

Law of supply and demand. What? Why would we adhere to that???

Darren said...

Mr. W:
As I like to tease our PE teachers, their job reduces to "balls out, balls in" each period :-)

Anonymous said...

Despite average spending of more than $12,200 a year per pupil, just shy of the median level for all states, West Virginia public school teachers had a statewide median annual salary of about $45,700 for the 2016-17 school year, the fourth-lowest in the nation.