Saturday, December 08, 2018

In Other News, New Study Again Finds That Water Is Wet

This "learning styles" myth just refuses to die:
For years, psychologists and neuroscientists have questioned the idea of "learning styles"—the theory that students can process information best when teachers tailor instruction to students' strengths. These frameworks often rely on grouping students into categories, like auditory, visual, or kinesthetic learners, or concrete versus abstract learners.

Now, a new study in Frontiers in Education offers further evidence that these designations may be unreliable: When it comes to an individual student's preferred learning style, teachers and students don't agree on how students learn best...

At this point, many researchers consider learning styles to be a myth. Prior research has shown little evidence that learning-style theory holds up. A 2009 meta-analysis of thousands of articles published on the subject found that most didn't test the concept in an experimental setting. Of those that did, several offered results that contradicted the theory...

And Papadatou-Pastou said that learning styles aren't only ineffectual—they can also have real consequences for students. Categorizing students by their perceived or self-reported strengths could discourage them from seeking new challenges, she said.
And multiple intelligences?  I'd be happy if more people demonstrated at least one intelligence.  (Wow, I'm getting curmudgeonly in my old age!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My principal kept marking my observation sheet because I didn't take note of my students' learning styles. I finally printed up all of the studies and I could find that debunked the theory (Willingham helped), showed him the survey I created that actually gave me valuable info on my kids, and he finally caved.

Why do "educated" people in education keep adopting and basing reform movements on unproven theories? I've seen a lot of so-called answers to reforming education in my over 30 years teaching, but very few address the parents and kids: until parents make their kids read, do homework, work with them on accountability, and get the hell off the iPhones and ipads, nothing will change for the better.

Anonymous said...

I love that you did that!

Mike43 said...

I do evaluations, both cognitive and achievement. I always preface my remarks about cognitive testing with telling them I can only measure 7 areas of the known 23 areas of intelligence. There are significant limitations to what we can tell you about intelligence.

That said, I can give you some insight into what are problematic areas for the student, and suggest pathways for remediation. But most are interested in the full scale iq, which is at best a comparison to a control group