Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Purpose of School

A colleague of mine came up with a pithy but entirely accurate saying this past week:  "Secondary education--where education is secondary."  A teacher who long ago left our school used to say that "our job is to babysit the kids until someone more important needs them."

I'm really starting to not enjoy teaching, and part of the reason is all the non-teaching things I'm expected to do.  And these non-teaching tasks are getting greater and greater in number and taking more and more time.  Let's look at just this past week, starting with the students.

  • Sophomores and juniors were administered the PSAT during school.  Freshmen and seniors didn't have to come to school until 11:15.
  • Immediately after the PSAT, when classes were to be in session, seniors had a mandatory "sexual assault at college" briefing that took 2 class periods.
  • On another day there was a mandatory senior class meeting that took half of a period.
  • There is at least one mandatory briefing this next week, I think it's about drinking and driving.

Now let's look at what I was tasked with just this past week:
  • I administered the PSAT.
  • Mandatory online survey about my attitudes regarding AP classes and the students who should take those classes.  This survey takes approximately 30 minutes.
  • Mandatory online video training regarding suicide prevention; this survey also takes approximately 30 minutes.
  • My district is requiring me to give up my desktop computer and accept a new laptop computer that I don't want.  I must backup all the data, bookmarks, settings, etc., on my computer, disconnect it, take it to the district office, pick up the new computer that I don't want or need, and restore all my backed up data to this new computer.  The instruction sheet on how to backup/restore the data takes two pages.
Secondary education--where education is secondary.

1 comment:

Ellen K said...

Just two pages?
My last two weeks have included the following:
Dylexia Training, ESL/ELL Training, PSAT administration training, Red Ribbon Week structured drug lectures, Semester exams, weekly Quizzes, Faculty Meeting, AP Committee Meeting, ARD, ARD, PLC, Meeting with district coordinator over the district show which this year is either the 20th or the 25th depending on happy she gets with her keys.

I believe our administration is suffering from workplace horreur vacuii-the fear that if they let us sit down and take a breath we'll discover how much of this is real and how much is hokem.