Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Snow in Iceland

Did I get out just in time, or did I miss all the fun?

According to the BBC, Reykjavik experienced record snowfall this past weekend:
Record breaking amounts of snow fell in the city of Reykjavik in Iceland last night and the pictures are amazing.

The snow in the capital peaked at 51 cm.

Only once in history has this been topped, when snowfall in the city reached 55 cm in January 1937.
When we arrived Monday morning, there was no indication that any snow had yet fallen in Reykjavik.  However, come Tuesday, the snow started coming down such that our 6-hour Golden Circle Tour lasted 8 hours:

The snow didn't stick, at least in the city, as you can tell from this video from Wednesday:

This is what it looked like in front of our hotel on Thursday, the morning we left, though:


If you haven't done so already, go check out the pictures at the BBC link.  Did I get out just in time, or did I miss all the fun?

1 comment:

Steve USMA '85 said...

I'd say you missed the fun...but then I love snow.