(Moscow Campus) A moose has been spotted near Taylor Avenue. Be cautious and give the animal proper space.
* Never feed moose.
* Give moose at least 50 feet. If it doesn't yield as you approach, give it the right of way. (Either retreat or walk way around.)
* If its ears lay back or its hackles (the hairs on its hump) rise, it's angry or afraid and may charge; back off pronto.
* Moose kick with their front as well as hind feet.
* Don't corner moose into fences or houses.
* If a moose charges, get behind a tree. You can run around the trunk faster than the gangly creature.
* Never get between a cow and her calf.
We have mountain lions near my school here along the American River in Sacramento but never get emails about them. The only emails we ever get here at school concern rattlesnakes.