Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Agency Fee Rebate

Today I mailed off my letter to CTA requesting my agency fee rebate.

California is a so-called Fair Share state, which means I'm legally required to pay the local, state, and national teachers unions over $1000 a year for the "privilege" of (not) being represented by them.  Since no one is required to be a union member, though, I choose not to be--but I still have to pay them!  I'm entitled to a rebate, though, of that money that they don't spend on collective bargaining, as determined by an arbiter, and that comes out to over $300 each year.  By agreement we "agency fee payers" must request the rebate each year by November 15th; the $300 check is nice to get right before Christmas!

If you'd like to find out how to get such a rebate, please visit the web site of the California Teachers Empowerment Network, specifically this page.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just sent mine last week. But I think I did read that it will be $426 this time. It is an election year after all... I hope I read that right.

Thanks for the tuning me into this a few years ago.

W.R. Chandler said...

I'm right behind you!

Anonymous said...

Yep. Got my $419 dollar check in the mail today.