Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Quit Complaining

It's easy for me to get into a funk; I'm a relatively active person, and this injury prevents me from doing much of anything. In that way it is both physically and emotionally brutal.

Being a usually upbeat person, I can tell when I start falling into the trap of self-pity and disappointment. It's one thing to get frustrated about my situation sometimes, but completely another to get into "woe is me" mode. I do not want to go there, but it's one of the few places I can get to easily given my current lack of mobility.

The last couple weeks I've taken to saying that I've noticed no improvement in my condition. Just last night, though, I read this post, wherein I celebrated being able to take 6 3" steps before collapsing onto crutches. That was 3 weeks ago.

Yes, there are very strong limitations on what I can do, and I may be very near to those limits, but there has been improvement. I just have to assume that any time in which improvement isn't noticeable is probably time wherein the tendon is healing--getting me closer to that day when I can take off the immobilizer and learn to walk again.

Gonna keep a positive outlook. What good does being disconsolate accomplish?

3 comments:

PeggyU said...

You must have a backlog of reading to do. Everyone I know does! This is probably the only opportunity you will get in a long time to catch up on it ... so take advantage of it!

Ellen K said...

I think for people who are normally active, being injured or ill is an additional hurdle to be conquered. When I was so sick back in the Fall where all I did was play stupid FB games for 24 hours a day, I thought I was losing my mind. I was so tired and my broken ribs hurt all the time. Pain is exhausting. I could really understand why someone would seek drugs to kill the pain even at risk of my life. The key is redirection. What is something you have longed to do but never had the time to do? I would suggest, with your writing and research skills, that you start writing a book. Who knows? The Chinese symbol for crisis is also one for opportunity. What an opportunity to write and research without someone accusing you of just staying inside....consider it.

Darren said...

I started a book (for beginning teachers) years ago....