Saturday, April 09, 2011

Interesting Day

I went skiing this morning. Bought a season pass for next year (good from now till the end of next season) online and headed up the hill. I've skied Boreal over the course of a few decades now and I don't think I've ever seen so much snow up there. It was amazing. Temps in the high 30s to low 40 with no wind. At one point I stood on top of the mountain and to the east, towards Reno, I could see blue sky, but I was in the middle of a few snow flurries!

I got home and walked 2 miles to Sam's Club because, quite honestly, I didn't have anything better to do! Didn't buy anything there, but I really wanted to.

I have a friend who comes over for "movie night" almost every Saturday, and on the way home from Sam's I got this wild idea that I should make some homemade salsa for tonight. So I went to Safeway and bought some tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, pineapple, white and yellow corn, black beans, and two fresh mangoes. Then I dropped by my mother's and picked up some fresh mint from her front yard. I just started mixing things together and ended up with two different types of salsa. I hope at least one of them will taste fantastic. Guess I'll find out in about an hour.

Tomorrow's "gym day". Maybe I'll cheat and take my swimsuit and hang out in the hot tub for awhile!

Update, 4/10/11: Neither salsa was as sweet as commercially available salsas--I didn't put any sugar in mine!--but they both tasted pretty good! I just had some of the bean and corn "compote" for breakfast, and will use one of the two recipes (probably the pineapple-mango) for a chicken topping for dinner tomorrow night.

7 comments:

PeggyU said...

That sounds like a wonderful Saturday!

We cleaned the garage, and there's still a lot more to do. :(

mrelliott said...

I want your life Darren!!

Ellen K said...

Who puts sugar in salsa? Seriously.
Here's salsa
Rough chopped 2 to 3 tomatoes put half in the blender. Add half a chopped onion to the blender
Add a dash of cumin.
Add a minced jalepeno (or for a different type of lingering heat, add some habenero pepper. It hits a different spot on the tongue)
Add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
Add however much you want of cilantro. Blend until chopped somewhat then add the remaining rough chopped tomatoes.

You don't put sugar in salsa.

Darren said...

While I agree, Ellen, look at the ingredient list of several of your major brand salsas. I, too, was surprised!

Joshua Sasmor said...

Darren - please post your recipes! A bean/corn based salsa sounds really good right about now!

Ellen K said...

Which is why we have body issues in America. There's far less sugar in homemade food-even those seen as unhealthy-

Darren said...

Both had the same base: yellow pepper, orange pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, and mint.

To that base I added canned pineapple and fresh mango to make one salsa, and white corn, yellow corn, and black beans to make the other. No measuring, no recipe, just mixed goodness!