Sunday, August 22, 2010

Media Bias

Can Fox News Cover Democrats Fairly While Supporting Republicans?

I'm curious how Fox News "supports" Republicans. I guess that when you don't bash Republicans at every turn, that counts in some circles as supporting.

My first thought when I read the linked article was that people have quickly forgotten whom Rupert Murdoch supported (financially, and otherwise) in the 2008 presidential election. Fortunately, Ed Driscoll leaves a brilliant comment:

Can any of the myriad media outlets whose members were on the JournoList listserv cover Obama fairly after admitting that they were part of the self-described "Non-Official Campaign Staff" for Obama? Can the New York Times cover Republicans fairly after their ombudsman admitted in 2004 that "of course" the New York Times is a liberal newspaper?"

1 comment:

Ellen K said...

I read stuff from both sides of the spectrum. I don't see much of that coming from either polar end of the political crowd. I think CNN, ABC and NBC deliberately shade their news to show the administration in the best light. Likewise some of the more strident conservatives like Savage are brutal in their assessments. Ironically, while the left likes to excoriate Hannity and Limbaugh, I find most of their shows far less on the attack than similar shows from Ed Schulz and Keith Olberman.