Friday, August 15, 2008

Drinking Liquid Nitrogen at Princeton?

I'm not sure what I can add to this. I'll just let it speak for itself.

A gifted 15-year-old student from India had to be rushed to the hospital after drinking liquid nitrogen during a science class at Princeton University.

The class was part of a program run by the Connecticut-based Summer Institute for the Gifted. It isn't affiliated with the university.

7 comments:

Eric W. said...

Bet he got a killer brain freeze, eh?

KauaiMark said...

:..Institute for the Gifted"

Has the word "gifted" been hijacked by the PC crowd to now mean "idiot"?

gbradley said...

Darwinism knows no boundaries.

Ellen K said...

Isn't that used for freezing things? And this kid was in a gifted program?

DADvocate said...

Maybe not so gifted. Liquid nitrogen is what doctors use to freeze off warts, etc.

eric w. - brain freeze caused a car accident locally this past week.

Joshua Sasmor said...

The idea is that by holding liquid nitrogen in your mouth, your body heat creates a gas layer that keeps the liquid from touching you. The problem is that you MUST exhale the entire time you have the nitrogen in your mouth, and you must not do this for more than about 30 seconds. I've seen this done safely before, but I've never done it - it is incredibly dangerous.

Here's one account of what can happen: http://www.darwinawards.com/personal/personal2000-25.html

Simply put - this was DUMB.

Oldmath said...

Possibly a suicide attempt. But dumb works for me as well.