Saturday, July 12, 2008

When A Little Math Comes In Handy

I'm going to Cancun in a few weeks (first time!) and I'm checking out all the web sites I can find. I found this one to be exceedingly painful.

Here's an example to illustrate the point: You buy 5 beers in a bar advertised at 40 pesos each. This bar offers an exchange rate of 10 pesos to the dollar. You could either pay 200 pesos or $20.00, fair enough.

Next door, the bar is selling the same beer at the same price of 40 pesos but they have an exchange rate of 11 pesos to the dollar. Your same 5 beers, will still cost you 200 pesos but pay in dollars and instead of $20.00 it's $22.00.

In the 2nd example, 200 pesos at 11 pesos to the dollar would be about $18.18, not $22. The way I see it, you could pay with a $20 bill, and since the site says you'd probably get change in pesos, I figure that you'd get maybe 15 pesos in change (rounding to the barkeep's favor).

And in California we have people whining because 8th graders are going to be tested in algebra.

6 comments:

Eric W. said...

I thought the Bahamas was your priority.

Darren said...

I can afford Cancun. You must have been a little stingy with the Bahamas bucket.

=)

Eric W. said...

Hey, I came back and donated at the end of last year. You didn't even hold any sway over my grade then. I'm just a nice person.

nebraska girl said...

If your suitcase is a bit heavy don't worry, it's just me sneaking along :)

Darren said...

Both of you tease me so.

DADvocate said...

I wish that article had a name with it. I'd like to do some business with that person. I think I could make a really good deal.