Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Surprise Announcement

Several years ago, I read a book--was it Chris Kyle's "American Sniper"?--and in a chapter about Navy SEAL training was this observation:  you could drop out if you wanted to, but if you decided it was a rash decision, they'd let you change your mind and stay in.  No one who changed their mind ever finished SEAL training; once that thought of quitting entered into your consciousness, it was impossible to shake.

I'm less than 20 blog posts short of 14,000, and I've been posting on this blog continuously since January 23, 2005.  This blog is 18 years and 7 months old today.  

On that first day I had no idea what this blog would turn into, and I never dreamed I'd keep at it as long as I have.  It has been a labor of love; it would be impossible to keep posting so long, averaging over 2 posts a day for over 18 years, if I didn't love doing it.  This blog had reached the age of majority; it can't drink, but it can sign contracts and join the Army!

This blog has been a priority for me, and with only a few exceptions I've tried to post every day.  I respect my readers enough to give them something new to read each day they come here.  And as I said, I've enjoyed doing it.

Over the years I've met several of my readers.  Some have made it a point to meet up with me when their travels brought them to the Sacramento area, and one has even opened her house to me, and taken me out to dinner with her family, when I passed through her area.  I have made friends among the readers of this blog.  Even some I've never met in person, I consider friends and would like to meet in person should the opportunity present itself.

Last week, though, the thought of quitting entered into my consciousness.  I thought no, I'll keep posting, but as in SEAL training, the thought is impossible to shake.

I've started some new activities, I need the time, and after almost 14,000 posts I'm ready to leave this blog in the ether and turn my time to these other pursuits.  I'm sure that, once in awhile, I might be moved to post something, but I probably shouldn't--I should let it go, ending on my own terms, on what I consider a high note.  I have some unfinished draft posts on some rather controversial topics that I'll leave unfinished.

I'm going to try new things.  When people leave they sometimes say "it's been a privilege" or "it's been an honor", and they don't mean it with any depth.  I've initiated a community here, and the regular readers and commenters have formed that community.  It has been a privilege, a great one, to be a part of that, and for that privilege I am truly thankful.

So to my readers--the lurkers, the newbies, and the long-timers--I give you an honest and hearty thank you for giving me the impetus to keep up this work for so long.  As Captain Kirk said just before he died in Star Trek: Generations, "It was fun."

32 comments:

ObieJuan said...

Darren, I've enjoyed your blog tremendously over the years. Thanks for all your efforts, they helped keep me somewhat sane during my final years of teaching!

P.S. You WILL be allowed to change your mind!

David said...

Um wow. That was a shock.

It has been a pleasure reading you for the last several years. I have really enjoyed your Janus stuff and your anti-union takes. As a fellow right leaning teacher in California, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your takes and have shared many of your blogs with others.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You've wasted almost 20 years on this crap? Good for you for quitting.

Steve USMA '85 said...

Wow, that came out of the blue for most of us I am sure. Not sure what I am going to do now when I boot up the computer first thing in the morning. Been with you ever since you announced your foray into blogging on the Forum. Someday I still hope to meet in person, it was sad we couldn't do it last time you were in DC.

It has been fun.

Pseudotsuga said...

Success in your new endeavors!
I (as many readers) will miss your viewpoints from the belly of the Education beast.

Rho said...

I'll miss you; yours is the first site I read every morning. Thanks for the wisdom, humor, great information over the years and best wishes!

Darren said...

I knew I'd get that kind of comment from "anonymous" :-)

As for everyone else, thank you. I've enjoyed it.

Jamie said...

I'm going to miss checking in on your blog. It was definitely part of my daily routine. I appreciated all your insights, both political and educational. Wishing you all the best!

Anonymous said...

Darren,
I have appreciated your insight and opinions on many topics that a conservative teacher faces every day, year after year. I have been able to use many points made by you in my debates with staff members and the union “bosses” in the school district I work for. Thank you for being this dedicated and keeping this blog going for as long as have. As with most sites and blogs, I read and don’t comment much ( this is as close as I get to social media). I will miss checking for posts and updates, but I do wish you well in all of your new hobbies. Should you ever travel through north central Washington, I’d buy you a beer and fire up the pizza oven!

Sincerely, the:

“Elkaddict”

PeggyU said...

Unhappy to lose one of my regular "reads". Silver lining is the troll is now homeless.

Anonymous said...

Been reading since I graduated in 2007 from RAHS. Probably won't see your name or words again, but it's been cool reading since then. Good luck with everything. I'll probably still come back here from time to time to read old posts.

guest said...

Happy trails!!

If you're ever in L.A...

-- Ann in L.A.

Matureteach said...

Darren, although I rarely post comments, I've been reading and enjoying your insights on teaching and other topics for many years, and I'll miss it. Thank you for those years.

Anonymous said...

I thought you would go up to your retirement date and then leave. Best wishes.

TeacherGardener said...

Darren,
This is a considerable surprise. Your blog is the only one I ALWAYS read. I'll miss you.

Anonymous said...

Found you when I was searching for info on N Highlands Moonwalk parade!
Thank you for so many years of enlightenment and entertainment. have seen enough pictures to spot you in public so if a stranger buy your breakfast someday dont be surprised. God bless you brother. Live long and prosper

Peg said...

I will miss your blog. You are my go to if I want to read abt our current education.
I wish you the best.

Ellen K said...

Darren, I enjoy your posts and have sent many people your way. I think you need to go back through your posts over the years and assemble them into a book of essays. Find a central theme-your passion for education and your dismay at what public education has become might be a good start. We need voices like yours and I'm willing to bet there's a publisher out there somewhere willing to take a chance. I will miss your blogs if you go. I admit, I haven't kept up with mind as much. I'm much more involved on Not The Bee and Twitter than I have been here. Perhaps that's just the way of things. At any rate, make the choice that is right for you.

Jaimi said...

Awww Darren. While I wish you the best in your endeavors, I am sad to see this announcement. I’m a UC Davis grad. My dad lived in South Natomas so I was in that area often. I started teaching MS math in Woodland (2002), moved back home to Oregon in 2005 (not my best move - I hated teaching there and was unimpressed with grad school @ Portland State) and taught there until I left teaching in 2017. This blog kept me sane throughout all those years. It was nice know I wasn’t the only one seeing and questioning what was going on. Even though I’ve been out of the classroom for 6 years now, your blog (and sometimes Joanne’s) was the only one I continued to read - every week. I’ve enjoyed your insight on the education system and also all the pictures from your travels. Come say hi if you’re ever in San Antonio (yep, I escaped Oregon).

Joshua Sasmor said...

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. It's been an enjoyable time.

Lisa said...

Darren,
Thank you for your wisdom and wit throughout the years! Not only have you enlightened and entertained me, but your blog was also a wonderful tool to guide a group I facilitated to more “cerebral” moments when the group became too discouraged, it caused very lively discussions.
Feel free to finish your drafts as an “encore performance.
I hope your future endeavors are filled with adventure and joy!
Blessings,
Lis

Darren said...

So many stories I could have written about this week, but I'm staying busy anyway!

LeftCoastRef said...

Say it ain't so? As others have said, your site has been a bookmark for years. I even created my email address with a nod to your site.
Your comments about CTEN and unions really helped me in my career as a teacher. Hope you enjoy your downtime. I will miss reading your musings. Blessings to you and yours.

Mr. W said...

One of my favorite blogs and actually one of only 2 that I still follow. Being a math teacher in CA, I was naturally drawn to your posts. Godspeed in your next endeavors.

Ellen K said...

I suspect you'll periodically look on this page so I thought I'd post this link here because I think it would appeal to your view of history and culture as we're facing it now. No need to comment, but it is a pretty pithy display.
https://twitter.com/APhilosophae/status/1703533246389117106

PhillipMarlowe said...

Next time I'm in Sacramento, I'll buy you a drink at O'Malleys in Old Sacramento.
Cooper is a great bartender there.

Darren said...

I'll take you up on that!

PhillipMarlowe said...

I see your email address. I’ll use that. Maybe June 2024.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Late to this because I have just not been reading my blogs since school started. I've been reading you since at least 2007. Will miss checking in. Best of luck.

Ed Realist

Jaimi said...

Darren,

When I saw your announcement I was so bummed. I miss your blog. It was part of my Sunday morning reading every week for years.

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am I came across your blog when I did. My story is long, but that's for another time. Short version: I started teaching in 2002 (middle school math).I think even in that first year I knew I wouldn't make it through 30 years - and I did not. I left after 15. I miss some of it. But I don't regret leaving. If I had not left when I did, The Nonsense ("pandemic") would have done me in for sure. I continued to read your blog as you kept me sane throughout my short teaching career and beyond. So, thank you for that. I wish you the best in your endeavors and upcoming retirement.

If you're ever in San Antonio....

Anonymous said...

Do you still collect coins?

Darren said...

When the mood strikes, yes.