Monday, June 14, 2021

The Poor Kid

I grew up working class.

My parents were very young when I was born, 19 and 21, so they weren't yet in their prime earning years even when I graduated from high school.  I'm not saying I went without food or clothes or anything like that while growing up, but there were no luxuries.  Eating out didn't happen, but Hamburger Helper did.  To make sure there were plenty of presents under the tree at Christmas my dad would work a ton of overtime.  Vacations were very few and far between, and they were on the tightest of budgets.

Put simply, there wasn't spare money floating around the house.

I took my trailer up to Reno this weekend, and now I need a new awning.  And my propane tanks are old school, there are some places that can't even fill them!  So I took the trailer to a shop today to get measurements for the awning, and they've squeezed me into their work schedule at the end of next week since I'm leaving for about a month early the following week.  I know how much the awning will cost but didn't even get a quote on the tanks--I want them replaced, so they'll get replaced.

Tonight I started thinking about it.  What's this going to cost me?  A thousand dollars?  Do I really need to spend that?

I have the money.  What's the point of having money if it doesn't make your life better somehow?  It's not something to be hoarded, it's something to be shepherded so it's available when you want or need it.  Upgrading my trailer will make my summer road trip more enjoyable (awning) and less worrisome (propane), so I'm going to do it.  I recognize how good I have things financially, and I am thankful for the blessing of not having to worry about such a one-time expense.

I think part of me, though, will always be that poor working class kid who has a hard time parting with a dollar.

5 comments:

Pseudotsuga said...

I empathize with you.
My grandparents were fully blue collar, but my father worked for the USDA, in the Forest Service, which was a mix of white and blue collar (much of his job took place out in the woods).
During fire season he'd work out with the fire crews, and bring home extra pay, similar to your father.
Our vacations were camping. We spent a lot of time out in the woods. We never vacationed in the cities. The very few times I remember staying in a motel were times we were moving, not vacationing.
We bought school clothes (and shoes) from K-Mart. Who could afford Levi's, anyway?
We never had a new car until after a couple kids had left home. Dad did a lot of the work on the cars himself, or with the help of uncles who were mechanics.
In the winter (and we always lived in places with snow), we heated with wood, because electricity (or oil) was too expensive.
My parents could not, and did not, pay for college for their kids, yet 3 of us managed to put ourselves through college (one on the GI bill).
In many ways, I'm still that kid.

Anna A said...

I can appreciate the thinking, etc. I am still doing a lot of the money saving things I picked up during my unemployment period. My main ways are to check for almost expired fresh foods. I like sauteing Brussels sprouts, but refuse the $6/package. When marked down the same package is $1.50.

Darren said...

I am not profligate with my money, and sometimes I still wonder if I leave fingerprints on my pennies when I pinch them. There's nothing wrong with that--and it helps ensure I have money available when I *do* want or need to spend it, as I do in this case.

Ellen K said...

My Dad went to college on a GI Bill scholarship. As a kid during the Depression he moved 14+ times as his Dad, my grandfather, followed work on the oil fields. My Dad worked from the time he was 9 until the day he died at 75. My brother and I were expected to work. I did gift wrapping at Sears, telephone shopping at Sears, credit cashier at Gordeon's Jewelers and sales floater at Sanger Harris (now Macy's) That entire time I went to school from 7 until 1 and then worked from 2 until 10PM. And I think the most I was paid $4.75 an hour. My kids all worked-my daughter was a receptionist at a salon, and then when she went to college to work as an RA, our oldest son took over that job. They worked at dry cleaners, the graveyard shift at Jack in the Box and as front managers at ChikFilA. Honestly I don't know a time when my kids weren't working. We helped as we could, but when FAFSA said my entire annual salary was a "reasonable contribution" there was no way we could fully pay for three kids in college at the same time. What's worse, there were no support programs for my kids. There were no mentors, no special recognition. They saw kids who got full scholarships skipping class and partying. My son never even went to a single football or basketball game because he was working. So I guess that's why I don't understand when some lucratively compensated celebrities point fingers at people like me screaming about white supremacy. I'm not seeing it.

Darren said...

I'm not seeing it either, Ellen.