Sunday, December 13, 2015

School Officials Beclown Themselves

Texas:
A Texas 7th grader said he was forced to cover up his T-shirt depicting a wartime soldier holding a gun.

Specifically, that would be a Stormtrooper holding a “rebel blaster” on a "Star Wars" T-shirt.

“It’s political correctness run amok,” the student’s father, Joe Southern, told KTRK. “You’re talking about a "Star Wars" T-shirt, a week before the biggest movie of the year comes out. It has nothing to do with guns or making a stand. It’s just a "Star Wars" shirt.”

Southern said his son, Colton, wore the Stormtrooper shirt to class Thursday at George Junior High School in Rosenberg, just as he had done several times before without incident.

Wisconsin:
Edie Oats, WI--First-year teacher Susan Potts was placed on unpaid administrative leave pending termination from her position at Forked Tongue Middle School for paying for a lunchtime snack with a Massachusetts state quarter.

"We have a strict zero-tolerance policy regarding firearms, and the Massachusetts quarter has a firearm depicted on it. A teacher, of all people, should know better than to bring such items on campus," said Superintendent Stew Pid.

Pid was referring to the Massachusetts quarter, released in 2000 as part of the US Mint's extremely popular 50 State Quarters Program. The Massachusetts quarter clearly shows a minuteman carrying a firearm.

"I thought all money was acceptable at school," said Potts. "I just wanted a rice cake and gave the cafeteria lady some coins, one of which was the quarter in question. It never occurred to me to 'screen' my money, and I had no idea the cafeteria ladies were trained to look for people spending this particular quarter."
Yes, I made up one of those stories. Hard to tell which one, isn't it?

3 comments:

Steve USMA '85 said...

Actually pretty easy. Stories like the Star Wars T-shirt are almost becoming a dime a dozen.

Buying a rice cake for a snack? Yeah, like that really happens.

Darren said...

You don't know many teachers, do you, Steve? :-)

Steve USMA '85 said...

Just me, my mother, my son, my aunt, my cousin, my other cousin...oh...and a West Point grad I converse with through his blog. :^)