Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Don't You Love Stories Like This?

And don't you just marvel at people like this?
Even the most adept chemistry student will spend an evening hopelessly staring at models of double helixes, polypeptides and ribonucleic acids.

Not Henry Wedler.

Blind from birth, Wedler, who is working on his doctorate in organic chemistry at the University of California, Davis, sees these complex structures in his mind and occasionally with his hands.

You might think Wedler faces a significant disadvantage in learning a complex subject that leans heavily on visual representations of things too small for the human eye to see.

But Wedler, 24, says his lifelong reliance on using his mind to visualize street grids and campus layouts aids in this intellectual pursuit.

2 comments:

PeggyU said...

I can believe that.

I like to play with clay, and when I make clay sculptures it seems to help to close my eyes at least part of the time and feel the way it occupies the space. Does that make sense?

Darren said...

I understand what you're saying, but have no firsthand knowledge. That's not how I experience the world.