Friday, February 26, 2016

Old School

When I was in 8th grade (during Carter's presidency!) I got a waterbed.  I still use the frame, but for the past decade-plus I've had an ordinary mattress in it.

I've missed sleeping on a waterbed.

Lately I've been waking up several times during the night, it's not good rest.

A few weeks ago I went to the same store where the bed was purchased (it's probably the only waterbed place left in Sacramento) and ordered a new mattress.  They custom-ordered it from a company in Carson City.  A couple days ago it came in.

I set it up and filled it on Wednesday.  It would take longer than an evening to warm up, though, so my sleep that night wasn't very restful--unless you consider sleeping on an iceberg restful, which I do not.

But last night...last night it was fully heated.  The new fleece sheets were on.  And I crawled in.  So soft, so toasty warm.  I slept for 6 hrs before waking up, turned the pillow over, and slept for another hour and a half or so.  It was heaven.

I'm looking forward to being tired tonight so I have an excuse to sleep in it again.

7 comments:

PeggyU said...

What a difference a good bed makes. There is a hotel I stay at when I am in Spokane that has the most comfortable beds ever. I don't know what mattresses they use, and I keep forgetting to look. When we were there last time, I found myself fantasizing about crawling back into bed in the middle of the day.

Darren said...

Last time I was in Vancouver I stayed at a hotel just outside the airport. I, too, should have looked at the mattress manufacturer tag, as it was an amazing bed. Unlike a waterbed, though, it wasn't heated in the winter and cooled in the summer!

Pseudotsuga said...

Hey, wait a minnit... isn't water rationed down there in the Central Valley? Shame on you using up that water just for your bed when the Delta Smelt needs it just to survive! How dare you spit in the face of Mother Gaia!!111!!

Auntie Ann said...

My sister had a waterbed in college in Wisconsin. Her roommate was from the south and didn't understand what would happen if you turned the heat off when you left on vacation. Not only did they return to burst pipes and destroyed carpets, but my sister's waterbed had frozen solid. It was days before it had heated back up.

Darren said...

Auntie Ann--great story!

Pseudotsuga--I'm considering the mattress as "water storage in case of catastrophe".

Mike Thiac said...

Beth and I slept, in of all places, a Navy base and they had a great cushion on the mattress. She wrote down the manufacturer, looked it up and ordered one for us. We love it.

Just curious Darren, you're a limited motion mattress?

Darren said...

No, I can move as much as I want :)

Yes, it's "waveless". Not really, of course; in fact, it has more wave motion than I thought it should. But it's "waveless", which I guess really just cuts down on the waves, and it even has some filling for "back support" so old guys like me don't get achy backs from sleeping on the dang things!