Tuesday, February 02, 2016

It's A (Post-)Christmas Miracle!

It doesn't matter what day of the week I give a test or a quiz on, there will be an inordinate number of students absent.    It's gotten out of hand.

Statistics classes, being all seniors, are especially bad at this.  So last week I put out the word:  the make-up quiz will be inordinately more difficult; so much so, I taunted, that I'll savor giving it.  I smiled a lot as I spoke.

Today we had our weekly "block schedule", having only odd-numbered periods.  Tomorrow we'll have even-numbered periods.  First period is especially bad, what with absences and tardies, but today not a single student was missing or late.  Third period was also 100% present.  Fifth period I teach a different class andt that class also had a quiz, but no one was absent--and I hadn't even threatened them with a harder make-up quiz!

My third stats class is tomorrow.  I'm curious to find out if everyone will be there to take the quiz.

It's clear everyone knows that I meant what I said.  Credibility pays dividends.

Update, 2/3/16:  The only two students that were absent today have been sick for several days.  Everyone else attended classes today.   Let me restate that:  in two days, I've had only two students miss class.

No comments: