Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Can I Go On Vacation In Cuba?

As I understand the law, I can only (legally) visit Cuba as part of a government-approved "cultural" or "educational" tour--I'll set aside for the moment the fact that a free people shouldn't allow their government to tell them where they can and cannot travel, but since the government has more firepower than I do I guess I'm forced to submit to its will (while the opposite should be true).

Having said all that, how is it, then, that current Chicago mayor and former Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel gets to go on vacation to Cuba?

I guess the rules only apply to us little people.

Update:  Even crazy-liberal New Republic agrees with me that a "vacation" to Cuba is illegal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rules changes this year.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/14/cuba-travel-us/

-Mark Roulo

Darren said...

I get a blank page at that link. Summarize? Has the embargo on Americans spending money in Cuba been lifted?

Anonymous said...

Travel and spending are legal now.

Darren said...

Interesting. How did this change occur? I'm quite sure Congress didn't change the law or we'd have heard about that, no?