Friday, April 04, 2014

It's Been A Long Time Since I've Agreed With Andrew Sullivan

In general I've ignored Andrew Sullivan since he went wackadoo on the Iraq War, but he's right on this one:
The guy who had the gall to express his First Amendment rights and favor Prop 8 in California by donating $1,000 has just been scalped by some gay activists. After an OKCupid decision to boycott Mozilla, the recently appointed Brendan Eich just resigned under pressure...

Will he now be forced to walk through the streets in shame? Why not the stocks? The whole episode disgusts me – as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today – hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else – then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us.
Get a clue, Andrew--the left isn't interested in a tolerant society.

1 comment:

maxutils said...

If OKCupid boycotting Mozilla is that important? Mozilla has lager problems. But, just like he has the right to donate money to one side of a campaign, his company has a right not to want to employ him. You know what I find worse than OKCupid? EHarmony. Twice, when they've offered free signup weekends, I've submitted their million-long page applications; twice, i've been told that there was no one anywhere near me who ld be interested even in meeting. And I know precisely why. It's religion. I'm not religious at all, but I'm respectful of others' ...unless their beliefs harm me or my friends and family. EHarmony doesn't believe that. For starters, if you happen to be gay, don't even try ... because they don't allow it. And after your 5th page of religious questions ... not getting a single match? Not a coincidence. So ... boycott was fine, response was not. Hatred should be directed elsewhere.