Sunday, November 17, 2013

Why Are Ordinances Like This Ever Passed?

What possible good comes from such rules?
Darren Miller, owner of CJ’s Hot Dogs in McDonough, was cited on Friday by a code enforcement officer for flying flags above his restaurant that honor the military.

The restaurant, Fox 5 reports, is dedicated to police officers, firefighters and those serving in the military and Miller says it’s his right to pay tribute to each group -- both inside and outside his restaurant.

Three months ago, Miller put up the American flag, the Georgia state flag and banners for every branch of the military.
I may need to create a label called tyranny.

7 comments:

PeggyU said...

What harm is done by flying flags? Just curious.

KauaiMark said...

Did you get out the teaching biz and move to Georgia from Sacto without telling us??

maxutils said...

Because legitimate restrictions on signage are probably desirable to the community? You already have one council member saying it was over-broad and too vague. This is a tempest in a teacup. And if you really are serious about wanting to know how? a) we have no alternative parties, b) legislators seem to think they need to pass ordinances to keep their jobs (I would happily pay them not to) and c) no one (Nancy Pelosi ... this is for you) cares about reading what they vote on.

PeggyU said...

LOL ... I was wondering when you were going to notice "ordnance". I like the word "ordnance" better than "ordinance", though. :D

Darren said...

Being an old army guy, "ordnance" is a much more common word for me than "ordinance". It took me a day or two to notice, sure, but I *do* know the difference.

maxutils said...

Glad to know. I will confess to not knowing the other was an actual word. Then again, selfie is now in the OED.

maxutils said...

Glad to know. I will confess to not knowing the other was an actual word. Then again, selfie is now in the OED. So if I'd been referring to military supple, I 'd be just as wrong.