Friday, August 05, 2011

Getting Ready For School To Start

We teachers have to go back in less than two weeks, and despite my concerns about my physical ability to start going full-bore on a work schedule, I'm looking forward to getting back to a job I haven't done since mid-April.

I took that first step today, logging on to our all-powerful Zangle program and checking out my classloads. I'm sure there will be plenty of changes made in the 2 weeks before school starts, but I've already started by setting up my class seating charts. I always freak students out by having seating charts projected up on the screen on the first day of school--it's their first taste of my respect for organization.

I also checked up on the 2 students I'm working with who are considering attending West Point. Transcripts, schedules, open periods, nothing escapes my eye and all red flags merit an email for clarification.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--technology's greatest contribution to education is not in replacing me, but in automating and simplifying tasks I have to do anyway so that my time can be more efficiently spent planning and teaching.

No comments: