Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Idiot Of The Week Award

It's early in the week, but I'm already polishing the trophy and preparing to give it to Senator Jim DeMint, R-SC, for this doozy:

DeMint said if someone is openly homosexual, they shouldn’t be teaching in the classroom and he holds the same position on an unmarried woman who’s sleeping with her boyfriend — she shouldn’t be in the classroom.


I agree with Rhymes With Right on this one:

Senator, we on the right are fighting for freedom against sharia law. I certainly do hope that one day you will quit espousing it and join us on the side of liberty.
I had an interesting lunchtime conversation with a social conservative today. I may share some of their values, but for the most part I certainly don't advocate using the power of government to enforce those values on others.

Update, 10/6/10: Did DeMint actually make this statement 6 years ago? If so, why is this just being reported now? I may have to retract the award....

3 comments:

maxutils said...

So the classroom, yes, military no. Should I be keeping score as we do this job by job?

Darren said...

I'm not sure what you mean, max--unmarried women who sleep with their boyfriends are already allowed in the military.

But keep score however you like.

Ellen K said...

Here's my take. I really don't care about gay marriage one way or the other. Since conventional marriages end in divorce half the time, there's no reason to think gay marriages would be immune. I doubt that the true partiers in the gay community would marry because that cuts them off from their social lives. While the gay lobby positions this as a civil issue, in reality it's an economic issue because they want to have the same federal concessions as married couples. This will cost everyone more in terms of health insurance. That's the elephant in the room. And that's worth knowing when people discuss the issue.