Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jock U

I, along with hundreds of other people around the state, received an email at my school account from ASU. No, it's not the Pac-10 school, but American Sports University in lovely San Bernardino, CA.

All degrees offered are Bachelor of Science in Sports Education with the following concentrations available:
  • Sports Management, Marketing, and Recreation Management
  • Sports Coaching, Fitness, and Health
  • Sports Journalism and Broadcasting
  • Golf Management
I wonder if the students there receive a well-rounded liberal arts education. The school is not accredited by WASC (not that I have any love for WASC), and I cannot find any accreditation listed.

I have to say, it looks kinda shady to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The school is not accredited by WASC (not that I have any love for WASC)..."

I cannot resist.

I'll point out that *your* alma mater isn't accredited by WASC either :-) [mine is, by the way!]

Does your alma mater look "kinda shady", also?? :-) :-)

-Mark Roulo

Darren said...

Mine isn't accredited by WASC because it's not in the WEST (that's what that big W stands for) :)

It is, however, accredited:
http://www.msche.org/institutions_view.asp?idinstitution=495

Anonymous said...

"Mine isn't accredited by WASC because it's not in the WEST (that's what that big W stands for) :)"

The *name* of your alma mater strongly suggests that it should be accredited by some organization in charge of "west" schools. Your explanation sounds like an excuse :-)

-Mark Roulo

Darren said...

United States Military Academy? How do you get "west" out of that? :)

MikeAT said...

To back up my good friend and fellow Army officer, his alma mater was sometimes know to us non USMA grad u me wits as "Ringknocker U", "Hudson High" and "Worst Point" but we knew the proper title is the USMA West Point NY.....New York....about as non-west as u can get