Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Final Exams

Based on the results of the final exams I've given, no senior will fail to graduate because of the grade received in one of my courses.

I got closer to that Armageddon this year than I ever have before and it's not pretty. I won't accept personal responsibility for someone's failure to graduate, but neither will I take glee in assigning a grade I know to be fair when that grade results in a student's not graduating.

It'll eventually happen. That day will come, but it is not this day.

3 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Congrats! :)

Steve USMA '85 said...

I understand how you feel Darren. Tomorrow morning I give the final to the cadets in STAP probability & statistics. Should one of my students fail, they are removed from the Academy and lose their career.

Always gives me the incentive to do the best job I can when teaching them.

Darren said...

Any advice, Steve, on how to approach certain topics in the subject, keeping in mind that my students will not have had calculus yet? If you do, my email address is easily gleaned from my "about me" page or from the Forum.