Friday, April 09, 2010

Not Exactly "Homeless", But Still A Nice Story

A homeless high school senior from South L.A. is on his way to West Point thanks to some incredible help from complete strangers. Tyki Nelworth explained to Eyewitness News how he is inspiring such an overwhelming support.

George Washington Preparatory High School senior Tyki Nelworth is savoring the generosity of strangers. The 18-year-old has been accepted to the United States Military Academy at West Point, but up until Thursday, he didn't know how he would get there or how he would pay the deposit.

"Initially, I had to make a $2,000 deposit to West Point to enter and I was kind of uncertain on how I was going to get that together," said Tyki. "That's a lot of money."

When the school's alumni association heard the stand-out student needed help, former students paid the deposit, his plane ticket, his prom tickets and tuxedo rental...

Tyki has endured more challenges than most 18-year-olds. His father died when he was in the 7th grade. He and his mother were evicted from their home two years ago and his mom is currently behind bars. Tyki now lives with a cousin and his cousin's girlfriend.

"I don't use those as excuses to not do well. I tend to use those as reasons to do better and get my life together," said Tyki.

Despite one obstacle after another, Tyki has a 4.2 GPA. He's taken advanced-placement courses, is the captain of the football team, is on the baseball team and is student body president...

Tyki plans to play football at West Point and sharpen his leadership skills. link


I wish him well.

3 comments:

DADvocate said...

"I don't use those as excuses to not do well. I tend to use those as reasons to do better and get my life together,"

What a great attitude! This should be a motto taught to us all.

Darren said...

Yesterday after school I was talking to a former student of mine, a senior who'll be graduating in a couple months. I gave him one piece of advice: when you have an opportunity to do something cool or unique, find ways to make it happen, not reasons why it can't.

Then I came home and read this story!

Ellen K said...

What a great story. This should be the commencement speech for every high school graduation this year. I am tired of students who use excuses as cover. What a terrific story.