Monday, October 12, 2009

Save the DC School Voucher Program

Parents, teachers, and students vs. President Obama, Congressional Democrats, and teachers unions, in a fight over providing vouchers to (mostly black) students in the DC public schools so that they can go to a decent school and have a chance at an education.

Round 1 goes to opponents of school choice; the voucher program was ended, consigning students to some of the worst schools in the nation while Chancellor Michelle Rhee continues her slow work to clean the place up.

Will this rally have any effect? I'd like to think so, but I'm not holding my breath.

3 comments:

allen (in Michigan) said...

I'd read a couple of places that Obama lobbied for the D.C. voucher policy and settled for grandfathering the current batch of kids through high school but no new enrollments. Not so?

Darren said...

I believe that is so.

allen (in Michigan) said...

So hollering at him on the subject is misplaced as holler-worthy as the man is on other issues.

I think I've expressed the sentiment that school choice is an issue the Republicans could really own but we're (yes, we are) not going to seize the issue. Instead, some small but increasing minority among Democrats, as is already happening, will seize the issue and by the time the Repubs notice they'll be late to the party.