Saturday, September 12, 2009

Choosing A Mate--Using Math!

How to choose a compatible mate? Read this to find out.

While the article begins by discussing the mathematical ways in which you can improve your chances in Vegas (or, if your taste and eyes have deserted you, Atlantic City), it goes on to discuss the marriage problem. Apparently, mathematicians have tortured themselves over marriage for some years. I did not know this. I figured that perhaps mathematicians only ever had one girlfriend, whom they married very soon after sex.

May I go down on one knee and admit how wrong I was?

Mathematicians have racked their brains and abacuses, for the good of society, in order to help us all choose wisely the person who shares our king-size. According to New Scientist, the law of diminishing returns has long been thought to be a marvelous indicator of when to stick, rather than turn another card.
There's a simple rule, and it involves the number e....

6 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

The "simple rule" seems to be to pick the lady with the most boobie showing. At least according to the picture in the linked article. Good grief that was a bit much, don't you think?? That was NSF Livingroom with teen boys.

Darren said...

She looked appropriately covered to me.

Steve USMA '85 said...

Hmmm...as a mathematician I find the article interesting.

However, I married the first young lady who didn't kiss on our first date.

Curmudgeon said...

dy/dan got married and, in true math geek fashion:
http://mathcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2009/09/math-teacher-marries.html

Perfect. I wish I'd thought of it.

PeggyU said...

I figured that perhaps mathematicians only ever had one girlfriend, whom they married very soon after sex.

OMG. My husband's a mathematician. Well, that's his degree anyhow. He does software engineering though. You are pretty much on target with this, I think. Does that make us pathetic?

PeggyU said...

You know, we got married on Pi Day, too. Didn't really think about it, it just happened. There were no Star Trek figures on the wedding cake.